Thursday, February 21, 2013

Throwback Thursday - An Ergo story...

Two months after my son was born we went to live in Japan for my husband's research. It was February 2011, and soon after we arrived the Tohoku Earthquake struck. The whole story is documented in my previous blog, Reversible Destiny Baby. Take a look if ever you will be travelling overseas with a baby and want some tips! Or just if you'd like to hear some pretty awesome stories about Japan...

We had to go back to Japan later that year so that my husband could finish his research, and while we were there I bought a beautiful Petunia Pickle Bottom Ergo. It was gorgeous, and I was so excited to use it with my then 11 month old. However, it soon destroyed my back, and I was stuck in bed for four days! My husband had left for a conference overseas when the pain began, and I panicked. We had no family in Japan, and I didn't feel I had anyone I could call on for help.

We were living in university accomodation while my husband did research for his thesis, and I was able to ask the ladies at the front desk for help. They rang a chiropractor for me, and sent me off in a taxi. Because I was so panicked, I let them keep my baby. We were still nursing, and it was the first time I'd left him with anyone in his life. I cried for three whole hours while we were apart! I got back from the chiropractor, only to discover that the office ladies had sent my little baby to a temporary daycare by car, with a woman who did not own a carseat... I waited nervously in my quiet apartment hoping and hoping that he would make it home without incident!

My son got home, happy as a clam, and had even taken a nap with the daycare ladies. I had been chatting with an acquaintance while I waited for my son to make his dangerous car ride home, and she kindly offered to come help for the rest of the afternoon. Once she arrived she quickly realised I was unable to take care of my baby alone, and offered to have me stay at her house until my husband got back from overseas. I don't think I've ever been so grateful to anyone in all my life. I still feel I have not repaid the favour!

My husband got home just as I was beginning to be able to walk straight, so I don't think he ever fully realised what a scary experience it all was for me. This is why, if ever someone asks about Ergo I say "Lots of people love them, but I can't recommend them!"

After such a sad story, here are a couple of cute photos of us in our Ergo, before all the kerfuffle.





No comments:

Post a Comment